The Ridiculously Humongous Pumpkin Blog

This is a blog about growing a ridiculously humongous pumpkin.

7.25.2006

I'm from Missouri...

Okay, so you know how I've been writing this blog for a while now? And how every time you've checked it, you've seen some pictures of seeds, or vines, or talk about fertilizer or genes or something? Well, I bet you were starting to wonder why I call this the ridiculously humongous pumpkin blog, and not the blah blah blah blog. Well, as the title of this post says, I'm from Missouri, the "show me" state. So, I'm gonna follow the golden rule:
















Bam. That's a big pumpkin. At its widest point, this pumpkin's circumference is 173 cm (68 inches). So there you have it. I've shown you. I hope you're happy.

But, of course there's more to say. One of the big developments is that we're really now down to one pumpkin. Sarah H. is working on a second pumpkin on the other vine, but all my attention is now on this guy, because I really think he deserves it.




This isn't the world's greatest picture, but what you can see in the foreground there is my ultimate pumpkin defense system. It's a 4 foot cube of chicken wire, with a pallet inside. On top of the pallet is a tarp, and a pile of sand. The sand provides drainage to keep the pumpkin from rotting and also padding to prevent the pumpkin from crushing itself under its own massive weight. The only thing left to do is add some shade cloth, keep watering and fertilizing, and watch this sucker go crazy.

Hell yeah.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blah blah blah blah blog is the most ironic thing I've ever seen.

But regardless, this sounds like a most pampered pumpkin. Keep up the good work!

22:36  
Blogger rory said...

How many pies are you expecting this thing to yeild?

15:24  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There won't be any pies. First, the good eating pumpkins are small and are bred for taste. This kid is bred for size. Next, Bert's current plan is to find a pickup to run into the pumpkin (I'd bet on the pickup).

These pumpkins aren't that pampered. They do get visited at least once a day (to make sure the timer watered them), but they don't get a lot of extra care (i.e. pruning and feeding). AND they have to share their plot with weeds.

And a correction: I have TWO pumpkins on the other vine and my two are going to catch up to Bert's one. (Funny how we swapped vines, eh Bert?)

21:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fair enough.

I just know the herbs I grow on my patio don't have a defense system.

Then again, they're not ridiculously humongous (but don't tell the basil that)!

10:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home